Lots of people have a New Year’s resolution to lose weight and get healthy. I prefer to set actual goals, with a plan of action. Step by step, I can follow my plan, and achieve the goals I set for myself. Here are some tips to start a weight loss journey.
1. Increase water intake and cut out salt. This one is going to be tough for me, because I love me some salt. There are varying opinions on how much water a person should be drinking per day, but if it’s more than you typically drink, it’s a good way to start. Salt intake leads to bloating, which is counterproductive to weight/size loss.
2. Start exercising. If you are a couch potato, start small. Take a brisk walk that will elevate your heart rate for at least 10 minutes per day. You will want to work yourself up to one hour of exercise per day, and include strength training.
3. Record what you eat. Much like tracking your daily spending to see where your money leaks are, recording what you eat will give you an accurate picture of your eating habits, good and bad.
4. Cut out fried foods and fat. Replace them with fruits and vegetables. Think about snacking on baby carrots instead of chips. Put two vegetables on your lunch time sandwich. Add fruit to your morning oatmeal or cereal.
5. Limit caffeine, chocolate and sugars. This will be tough, but if you want to lose weight, you just have to do it.
6. Record your exercise. Try to incorporate more physical activity into your day whenever possible, like using stairs, getting off the bus a couple of stops early and walking, Take every opportunity you can to burn off those calories.
7. Write down your goals and your weight on specific days. Put it somewhere highly visible for you so that you can see if often. It will help to keep you motivated.
8. Don’t give up, and don’t take a day off, if you want to lose weight. Don’t overdo it, but challenge yourself daily. You will be amazed at what you can do if you put your mind to it.
9. Make sure you are getting enough rest. A full eight hours of sleep will do more for you than only getting 6 hours of sleep per night.
These are the guidelines that I will be following for the next month. My goal is to lose 10 pounds in 30 days. Seeing as I am going from no exercise at all to doing anything, I think that this should be relatively easy, but we shall see.
I know that there are some folks who are joining in some ‘Weight Loss Challenge’ hosted by a blogger. I am taking part in this challenge, and am actually challenging myself, so I’ll be doing this right along with you (Jane).
What other tips do you have for trying to lose some weight?