Sunday, January 23, 2011

Weekend of the Full Moon

Knowing that I was on call this weekend for my business, I cleared as much from my work pile as possible on Friday. Or I should say, I tried to. Shortly after noon, the phone rang. I was needed. Fifteen minutes later, it rang again. I was needed somewhere else. I spent the next half hour getting a sitter, someone to assist me with calls, and driving as fast as possible without getting pulled over. It's our week with DD2, so I had to arrange to have someone pick her up after school and keep her until I could get there. I went to DH's work, to trade off vehicles and off I went to work.

I made it to pick up DS from the sitter around 6:30 pm. Fortunately, DD2 and DH were with me already. As we got out of the car, DD2 looked up and said something like,"Isn't the full moon beautiful"? I chuckled nervously. "It's not a full moon tonight, but maybe tomorrow."

If you know anyone who works in a hospital, in emergency services of any kind, a mental health facility, or services for the homeless, you may have already hear a story or two about what happens during a full moon. For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, I'll try to explain. During the time of a full moon, emergency rooms get busier, there are an increase in calls to emergency services. Mental health facilities see changes in their patients behaviour, and there seems to be an increase in accidents, overdoses, incidents of over drinking, and much more.

Even if you do not believe in the Full Moon Effect, there are thousands who do. The origin of the word 'lunatic' is derived from 'luna', meaning moon. If you search effects of the full moon on the Internet, you will get a lot of pages dedicated to it. Will the studies that have been done be in favour one way or the other? Depends on how many you read, I suppose. Some studies say they can prove the effect, others say their study proves quite the opposite.

In my own personal experience, I have found that my business gets busier during a full moon only about 25% of the time. An increase in business calls has more to do with the weather than it does with moon cycles. However, I do believe that if we work during a 'full moon', we tend to be busier than usual.

This weekend has been one of those weekends. I have been busier than usual with calls. The modes of death I have seen this weekend have been tragic, but truthfully, most death is tragic, either for the deceased or the family.

I did manage to read a book this weekend. "Here's the Deal : Don't Touch Me" by Howie Mandel is a biography of the comedian's life, including his private and personal battles with adult ADHD and OCD, as well as developing some issues with his heart. Parts of the book are quite funny, while others are quite serious. I applaud him for using a public forum to talk about his mental health issues. He is an extraordinary Canadian, comedian, actor, husband and father. I really enjoyed the book.

I did less knitting than I would have liked this weekend, but my hands keep swelling up, making it difficult to do much more than hold a book. Perhaps I will get some time later today, after I've cleared some more work from the pile that is still growing.

I'll be back tomorrow with a review of spending for the past week.

Have a great Sunday!

1 comment:

  1. I can also add that during a full moon we have many more issues with kids at school, as I did on Friday. And it happens every month, guaranteed!

    ReplyDelete