Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Absolutely nothing that I have planned to do in the past couple of days has happened, at least not the way I planned it.

Yesterday, I woke up to my daughter texting me saying that she was having contractions since 4 am. After a brief conversation, I decided I needed to see her so I could get a better gauge of her labour. I went to her apartment, and waited awhile with her. The contractions never stopped. We decided to go to the hospital.

11:30 check ~ 1cm dilated, she was told to wait (trouble with the monitor that measures contractions)
12:30 check ~ 2 cm dilated, she was told to walk
2:30 check ~ 3-4 cm dilated, was finally told she wouldn't be sent home
5:30 check ~ 5-6 cm dilated, taken to labour & delivery room; anesthesia called for epidural
7:00 check ~ 8 cm dilated, epidural is in, and she finally gets a small bit of rest
8:00 check ~ 10 cm dilated, time to start 'practice' pushing (told about 3 more hours of pushing before baby comes)
8:30 ~ only 3 'practice' pushes and baby is crowning; the delivery team is called in
9:02 pm ~ a healthy, beautiful baby boy is delivered

As far as labour goes for a first time mom, she went incredibly quick. Mom and baby are both doing fine. Dad went home for some much needed sleep. It was a long day for all of us.

Atreyu Cole Gray White was born at 9:02 pm, 6 pounds 9 ounces, 19 inches long.

The first child of Kashmere and Daniel. The first grandchild for April and Brian, John W., Brian S., and Keith M. Another grandchild for Linda. The first great-grandchild for Rickey. Another great-grandchild for Neil & Gloria. The first Great-great grandchild for Mary V. (also born on Mary's birthday).

I sang "Happy Birthday" to him, and held him close.
I love being a grandma already.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Grandma Eboo! What a great feeling it must be to have your own precious grandson to cuddle! I hope your daughter is doing well and slowly healing up! Congrat's to all involved!

    PS: I'm still trying to figure out HOW some ladies manage to grow 6 pounders!!! Mine were all BIG even though I was always "thinking small".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news and yes, she had a pretty "easy" time of it not that any labour is easy. Enjoy your time with your precious bundle:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! glad to see everyone is healthy.

    regards,

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your well wishes.

    ReplyDelete