Saturday, November 26, 2011

Shopping and Dinner

I went shopping yesterday.

I had read all the flyers and made a careful list. I need to stretch every dollar I possibly can right now. I wish the budget wasn't so darn tight but it is what it is.

I got Palmolive Dish soap, 1.1L for $1.73 at Canadian Tire yesterday. I bought 4 of them. I love stocking up on things when I find a great deal. I also picked up some Christmas wrap that was on sale, and a few stocking stuffers there. Who would have thought that CT would have good prices on seasonal candy?

Next stop, No Frills. They are having another one of their $1, $2, $3 sales and some of the deals were hard to pass up. While there, I realized that lean ground beef was on sale as well, so I bought two of the family sized packs. I used one for dinner, and split the other one up for the freezer.

When I got home after picking up the kidlets, I put stuff away, and packed up two reusable grocery bags of foodstuffs for DD1's house. She has recently gone back to work full-time after mat leave, and they are struggling once again. Her BF is having trouble finding and staying employed, so they have opted for him to stay home and look after grandcub while DD1 works to provide for their little family. They have exhausted all of their resources, and are grateful for any help in the next month while they are adjusting to the new schedule.

I wish I could have run to the bank, and taken out money for them to survive, but I can't. I want to fix the problem for them, but I can't do that either. But I realized that having stocked up on all the sales I can, I am able to help them with pantry items that I have. Baby wipes, t.p., soups, jam and bread from the freezer, peanut butter, sugar, cereal, rice mixes, all gleaned from our cupboards. It made me feel better and they were very grateful for the help.

Anyway, for dinner I made homemade burgers, with all the fixings. Mine ended up being a mushroom bacon cheeseburger. With fries, pickles and olives on the side. :) For dinner we had 3 adults, 2 tweenagers (DD2's fave girl cousin of the same age is here for the weekend), 1 toddler, and a 10 month old. All fed and happy on under  $20 worth of groceries bought on sale over time.
I. Love. That.

I am still making (knitting) gifts for my family to reduce costs. This is likely going to be our most frugal holidays ever. But it will be ok. Everyone knows that we are struggling financially, and are not so worried about stuff. We watched "The Grinch That Stole Christmas" after dinner, and it led to a discussion about 'Christmas not coming from a store'. That it was about being together with the ones you love, and who love you. The tweens seemed to 'get' it, and that's all I can hope for.

7 comments:

  1. Eboo, I dropped in the grocery store with out a plan this morning, and spent 40.45. I did get a big chicken, bacon, sausage, texas garlic toast, bananas, asparagus, milk, pop and chips. I'm thinking of making a big breakfast tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The groceries will help them a great deal. My mum always buys us boxes of cereal.
    Things are so tough at the moment everywhere. I think any help is always gratefully received. Its always nice to pass on the favour. x x.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit No Frills too... Bought a case of spaghetti sauce cans for $1/each, so $12 for 12 cans, can't beat that! A few other items were a great deal too! Loblaws has Kraft Dinner (gag) on for $.49... My 17 yr. old
    loves it, so I stocked up on that too! I hope things get better for your family. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are able to help your daughter. It's tough out there, and every bit helps. You are a good Momma.

    I'm hoping to find some grocery sales out there too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi to all eboolifejourney.blogspot.comers this is my first post and thought i would say hello to you all -
    thanks speak soon
    garry m

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that it is nice that you help them out with food. I'm sure that its much appreciated on my end. It goes to show that when one wants to cook from scratch, you can make money stretch a long ways with feeding a good number of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I skipped grocery shopping yesterday - that's how I've been stretching our food dollars. I get paid on Wed. and that's when I will shop. It means we don't have EVERY single thing in the fridge we'd like to eat and we have to be more creative but that's ok!
    Wish I could knit!

    ReplyDelete