Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Challenge Anyone?

Monday, I stepped out of my comfort zone a little bit and did something I have never done before. I volunteered at The Soup Kitchen. Together with customer service associates and other residents of Boardwalk Properties, we served breakfast and lunch to over 300 people.  I spent over four hours making and serving trays of hot food and beverages for people.

There are many programs that are in need of volunteers to help out. I'd like you all to consider giving some of your time and of yourself to those less fortunate. Call your local Soup Kitchen or Food Bank. They always need volunteers. The Salvation Army also needs volunteers to assist with their Christmas Hamper program, sorting and packing donated items and foodstuffs (although their volunteer program is a little tougher to get into).

How about spending some time with an elder person to assist with household tasks or running errands for them? With winter coming shortly, there will be lots of older folks who will need someone to shovel and salt their sidewalks for them.

Here's my challenge to you.

Give some of your time to give a hand up to someone else. Even for a couple of hours. It will help you keep your life in perspective, I promise.

What other great ideas can you all come up with to give of yourself to those who are in need?



http://www.info.london.on.ca/docs/HardTimes.pdf

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Since I'm all done with the mundane of Christmas (shopping), I'll have plenty of time to do what really matters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never volunteered at a soup kitchen, but hopefully I will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! :) For now I'm helping financially because with 4 kids in the house & a husband who works opposite the rest of the world it's hard to find the time. :( But eventually I'll get out there and be more "hands on" as well!

    ReplyDelete