Monday, November 8, 2010

The Elm Creek Quilt Book Series

One of my personal goals for 2010 was to read 100 books during the year. I love to read, so I thought I would track how many books I actually read. Sometime in the spring, I actually stopped keeping a list of what I had read, not really sure why. But the library keeps a listing of books I've checked out, which I have access to online. I can delete the ones I didn't actually read. I can go back at year's end and count how many free books I've actually read. I'm going to keep it a surprise, even from myself.

Anyhow, during a conversation with one of the world's friendliest librarians, I asked about similar type books as The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I truly enjoyed those, so she suggested The Elm Creek Quilt series by Jennifer Chiaverini. I knew absolutely nothing about quilting, but have a faint interest, as my grandmother was a quilter, so I decided to give them a try.

I love these books! I can't say enough about them. There are several characters, and each story follows the life of one of the quilters. There is also alot of knowledge to be gleaned from the stories about quilting itself, and I am always willing to learn something new, even if I never try my hand at it.

Some of the books are written like historical fiction, dating back to the 1800's, when the family members emigrate to the US, and build a home and a new life full of promise. Other stories in the books descibe modern day life stories, full of modern day issues, like marriage & divorce and family issues.

Having read almost all of the books in the series, I eagerly await new ones in the future, and similar stories from other authors.

Read any good books lately? Do you have a book or author suggestion for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment