Thursday, October 28, 2010

Buying Canadian

We learned through the Vancouver Olympics last winter that we, as Canadians are very patriotic. We bought up hundreds of thousands of dollars of items to help display that pride to visitors from everywhere in the world. But how far does your patriotism go? Would you been keen on buying only Canadian made products? How about the concept of buying Canadian first?

There are some obvious benefits to buying Canadian products. For the most part, the money you spend will stay within the Canadian economy, because the retailer you purchased from and his employees get their salaries from this money. They in turn buy products and services within their communities, boosting their local economy. I see this a win-win type of benefit. One of the not so obvious benefits, though is when you purchase a Canadian product, there is less shipping required to get the product to you, using less fossil fuels for shipment.

I truly believe in buying Canadian made products whenever possible. I feel it is my patriotic duty to ensure through consumerism, the stability that buying Canadian could provide to our economy. Now, that is not to say that I do not support economies outside our own. But I do feel it important to contunue supporting the Canadian economy in any way that I can first. I buy Canadian made products as much as I can, and almost all the service companies that I use, personal and business, are Canadian companies.

I came across a site that speaks to this very idea. Buy Canadian first talks about the important isuues behind this ideal, and provides a listing of companies within Canada that provide various products. I encourage you to pop over to their site and check it out. http://www.buycanadianfirst.ca/en/why-buy-canadian-first

No comments:

Post a Comment